Saturday, March 27, 2010

Trusting God

Why is it so difficult for us humans to trust God?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9 declares.

We humans are inherently selfish. We want what we want, and of course lacking patience, we want it now! We are especially impatient when it comes to trials and wanting God to “fix” the situation. Somehow our thoughts get twisted during a trial and we may begin to think “why are you doing this to me God?” Proverbs 3:5-6, states “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.” Hmmm, maybe that means we are not to try and figure God out; just TRUST Him.

Job suffers intense physical and emotional pain at the hand of Satan. The scripture clearly shows that God “allowed” this trial to happen to Job, and yet Job continues to trust God. Job 2:9-10 “Then his wife said to him, "Do you still hold fast to your integrity? Curse God and die!" But he said to her, "You speak as one of the foolish women speaks. Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?" In all this Job did not sin with his lips.”

Trials will come and go in our lives. Some trials will be small, some will be large and some may feel like they are going to crush us. But what’s the worse thing that will happen, in all honesty, if a trial “crushes” us? We die right? And if we die, then we just get to start eternity with Jesus a bit sooner. That doesn’t sound like a bad alternative. In fact, with that eternal perspective, this trial doesn’t seem so crushing.

Psalm 62:5-8
“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge. Selah”

No comments:

Post a Comment