Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dreaded Words


Devon and I were in the car on a day trip of adventure. Driving with the sun shining, the radio playing our favorite Christian band, and my favorite person by my side I was just having an awesome day.

As it often does when we are in the car, conversation turned serious. Devon said, “I’ve been thinking about careers, I don’t know why.” I quickly shot him a look, as I tried to focus on the road. From an age of 5 or 6 years old, he’s always wanted to be a scientist, but this sounded different. The tone of his voice was intense and I braced myself. Well, I finally heard the words that every mom dreads…. “Mom, I think I want to join the military.”

Now remember, this is a Mom who served 10 years in the USAF proudly. I’ve been there, and done that….I have a pretty good idea of what it might entail. Yet, as a Mom, my heart raced and I clinched the steering wheel. I said a prayer and asked God for guidance. The conversation ensued…. What branch? What type of job? Why the military?

I recall the amazement in his eyes the first time he realized what the “military” is. Around age 3 or 4, those little green army men came to “life” when he saw pictures of me in uniform and saw my medals that hang on the wall. The first time he saw my “dog tags” he asked, “why do they call them that?” Now this awe mixed with curiosity was perhaps becoming more concrete.

I think back to the election of 2008 when as luck would have it, we were studying the birth of our nation. We read the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution; even posted them on the wall to look at every day. We read the biographies of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams and others. During that time, I sensed a change in Devon’s understanding of democracy, the principles that founded the nation and I believe, that was the turning point in both his appreciation of and respect for our nation.

Good job, Mom. You taught him well about the nation’s heritage and patriotism. Well enough to hear those ‘dreaded words.’ Who knows what will happen with the career, I’m just proud of my son, the patriot.

No comments:

Post a Comment